The value of sleep….
As a nation in the grip of a technology frenzy where being accessible 24/7 is the norm, it’s no wonder we’re all a bit tired! Now, more than ever, it seems as though we’re scrimping on sleep, and recent reports suggest that more people than ever are sleeping less than six hours a night, with sleep difficulties affecting over 75%.
While it’s normal to have the odd night of disturbed sleep now and again, regular patterns of chronic sleep loss are far from ideal. We often underestimate the value of sleep. We take a look at why sleep is so important…
- Lean machine: sleep may help to keep our weight constant, and chronic sleep deprivation may cause weight gain by altering levels of hormones that affect our appetite.
- Learning & memory: sleep helps the brain commit new information to memory through a process called memory consolidation.
- Safety: missing out on night-time sleep can cause daytime drowsiness, which can lead to errors and accidents.
- Healthy heart: plenty of sleep can aid a happy heart and missing out can lead to hypertension and stress.
- Immunity: for a strong and healthy immune system be sure to get plenty of sleep.
Need any more persuasion to spend extra time in bed? We thought not! Get the best out of bedtime with the Futon Company Big Bed Sale. What’s more, our products are designed for small space living so don’t let a small space affect your sleep….