Stuck for Space?
Stuck for space? Seeking new storage avenues in your home? If you’re lucky enough to have a house, a loft conversion could be one way to find new storage solutions.
As UK houzz.co.uk contributor Karen Wilson says in her blog Storage: Create A Place For Everything In A Loft Conversion, this really is an excellent way to “create an extra bedroom and add value to your home.” There are, however, important considerations to factor in, and careful pre-planning makes all the difference. The key, she says, “is to make the most of every inch…[by] designing around the sloping roof and angled proportions…so whether you’re starting from scratch or want to retro-fit more hard working storage space into an existing loft [there’s lots to think about.]”
Here we pull out her top tips:
• Go bespoke – consider building your own storage in order to maximise on space
• Consider ‘stepped’ design to create interest and to make the most of the space available. Think about creating ledges for accessories, for example
• Access hard to reach place by incorporating moveable step ladders into your design
• Think about building a partition wall or squaring off a space. This is a useful way of integrating hidden storage
• Create a window seat with hidden storage
Futon Company says: Karen Wilson presents some smart ideas for making the most of small or awkward spaces but there are plenty more – many of them easy and cost effective. Other ideas can include using dual function furniture, stacking storage, smart shelving solutions, clever clothes organisers and leaning furniture which can be easily moved around. Check out our space saving ideas…