Why We Sleep
We focus a lot on sleep, here at Futon Company. As the company who introduced futons to the UK in 1980, we’ve spent a lot of years (decades, even!) focusing our attention on comfort and the importance of creating a comfortable and slumber-inducing sleep space.
So when we came across Matthew Walker’s book Why We Sleep, we were intrigued to read more. After all, it’s a commonly known fact that sleep (or lack of) is becoming a bit of an issue for many of us in industrialised societies. Our busy, ‘being on’ 24-7 lives, underpinned by social media and smartphones, is taking its toll. Walker explores this concept, and a review of his book in elledecoration.co.uk November 2018 issue raises some fascinating facts. Here’s a snapshot:
* Every major physiological system in the body and every operation of the mind is wonderfully enhanced when you get enough sleep
* Every disease we fear in the developed world has significant and often causal links to insufficient sleep
* Several things have distanced us from our natural sleep rhythms, and the first is light. As a modern society we’re deprived of darkness (electric light and smartphones keep us ‘switched on). Darkness releases melatonin, a hormone that encourages the onset of sleep
* Work hours, commutes and entertainment consumption have all increased over the past century, contributing to less sleep
* Also keeping us awake are anxiety and stress, which are the principle causes of insomnia. This revved-up, fight-or-flight state of mind makes it difficult to sleep
Futon Company says: Fascinating stuff. This book is definitely top of our list for bedtime reading! There’s plenty more you can do to aid a good night’s sleep. Check out our bedtime saviours, (the big stuff’s designed with small space living in mind) …
Dispensing with springs, DeepSleep instead blends high-tech fibre with super-high resilience foam to create a mattress from the stuff that dreams are made of.
When there’s only one thing on your mind it’s time to raise your profile in the bedroom with our low level Platform Bed, designed pure and simply with sleep in mind
Get a taste of tough luxe with our alluringly seductive Sheepskin Bedspread. The perfect wintry accompaniment to wild nights at home or away!